|Key Stage 1||Autumn||Spring||Summer||Exam Board|
|Light and Colour|
Book bank: Handa’s Surprise; Pumpkin soup; The Enormous Turnip; The Bear Hunt; Owl Babies; The Room on the Broom; The Gruffalo; Plop!
Ideas bank: Africa Vegetable soup; poverty; Harvest Festival; African animals; exploration/safari; where is Africa?
Continents; What would you wear? African musical instruments; make a rain shaker.
Colour mixing; leaf prints; forest school; leaf mobile; days of the week (Hungry Caterpillar); natural collages/collections. Shoe box parcels/foodbank
Role play – shop/money – Fruit and Veg shop
Trips/visits/visitors: Donkey Park – weekly; musician x4; gymnastics; Argyle coach x6. Market/market stall visit. Autumn walk – Plym Bridge. Owl sanctuary visit.
Thumbelina/The Little Chimney Sweep/’Twas the Night before Christmas; Christmas book selection.
LIGHT/DIVALI AND STARS;VICTORIAN TIMES/TOYS/TRAINS
Book bank: Way back home; How to catch a star;
Ideas bank: Nocturnal animals. Making candles; Divali party/best clothes; Rangoli chalk patterns; star mobiles – 5 and 6 pointed; solar system/sun; fireworks; fire safety.
Children in Need.
Toy Story. Polar Express; train station visit; create a museum display; Christmas list; museum visit; adults favourite childhood toys; Merchant House visit – toys; show and tell favourite toys; spinning tops; playground games.
Role play – shop/money – Toy shop
Trips/visits/visitors: Donkey Park – weekly; musician x4; gymnastics; Argyle Coach x6.
Toy shop/museum visit. Church visit.
|– Lost and Found|
WEATHER;POLAR ANIMALS; SUPERHEROES
Book bank: Lost and Found; The Last Polar Bear; Penguin Lost; One Snowy Night.
Ideas bank: Forces visitor; extreme weather conditions; changes in weather; measuring rainfall; role play area – weather station/forecasters. Shoe box for soldiers.
Polar bears and Penguins; Pingu; keeping warm; fur and feathers; leaflets for Living Coasts; hot and cold; looking after our planet (pollution/melting ice-caps)
Role play – shop/money – Rescue services charity shop
Trips/visits/visitors: Donkey Park – weekly; musician x4; gymnastics; Argyle x6. Charity shop visit. Police/soldier visitor – visit a police station. Naval base.
ANIMALS AND NEW LIFE – living and growing
Book bank: Snow Lambs; Chicken Licken – folk tale; The Hungry Caterpillar; Monkey puzzle.
Ideas bank: Favourite animals; matching adult to young; Pennywell Farm visit; search for lambs/foals/calves on Dartmoor.
Pets and vets. Eggs/Easter. Chocolate – changes. Life cycles. Habitats. Body parts – humans/other animals; growth.
Growing plants; baby animals; baby photos; measure/growth.
Role play – shop/money – Pet shop
Trips/visits/visitors: Donkey Park – weekly; musician x4; gymnastics; Argyle Coachx6. Pet shop visits. Dartmoor drive. Pennywell/Dartmoor zoo.
|Fruit and Veg.|
PLANTS/FRUIT AND VEG;
Book bank: Jack and the Beanstalk; The Enormous Turnip; The Tiger who came to tea; Handa’s Surprise.
Ideas bank: Growing plants. Keeping healthy; healthy food – cooking. Sun safety; clothes we wear for gardening. Plant/seed/bean types – same/different. Measuring growth. Growth experiments with plants.
Role play – shop/money – garden centre shop
Trips/visits/visitors: Donkey Park – weekly; musician x4; gymnastics; Argyle Coach x6. Garden centre visit.
Homes and Holidays
Book bank: Fantastic Mr Fox; Preston the Pig; Red Riding Hood; The Rainbow Fish.
Ideas bank: Travel agents; map work – looking at maps/creating maps; Places children have been; packing for a holiday; beach visit – plan what to take. sea creatures; pond dipping; rock pooling; sand sculptures/castles; experiments – hot/cold; floating and sinking. Home/room plans; shoe box rooms; mini beast habitats; find where the ants live; bees and bee hives; snail tracking.
Role play – shop/money – Beach shop
Trips/visits/visitors: Donkey Park – weekly; musician x4; gymnastics; Argyle Coach x6. Beach/holiday homes visit. Pond dipping – King’s/Aquarium visit.
|Key Stage 2||Autumn||Spring||Summer||Exam Board|
|Africa and Egypt|
· Time zones
· money (buying things at the market), graphs & data handling for climate change
· Abacus work & Egyptian numbers
· problem solving
· measures and 2D/3D shapes – building a pyramid
· Stories from the African culture and traditional African folktales (Anansi the Spider Man & Handa’s Surprise)
· Animal fact cards
· Letters to children from an African school
· writing instructions – ‘making a mummy’
Science – linked to topic –growth and skills based
Trampolining, swimming, water sports and Forest School.
Basic cooking skills
· Number skills –addition, subtraction, multiplication using splits, jottings or grid method
· Number skills –division using grouping, jumping or chunking
· Measures and Scaling (using x tables)
· Problem solving- involving place value, rounding, choosing preferred method to solve, cost of DIY materials in a house, measures, perimeter and area for floor plans
· Writing letters – formal and informal use of language
· Using persuasive language to decide whether to build on HomePark / Bretonside Bus Station / Drake’s Island
· Non-chronological reports about Construction
· Reading and writing and giving oral instructions
Science – linked to topic – Forces and skills based
Trampolining, swimming and Forest School.
Basic cooking skills
· Money and temperature – ordering numbers and solving problems.
· Collecting data in frequency tables and comparing. Recording data in tables, bar charts, line graphs and pictograms
· Shape – Reflection, Translation and Rotation, angles and direction
· Fractions of shapes – fractions adding to 1, equivalent fractions, calculations involving fractions
· Recounts – how to build a wormery/ant farm, how to build a home for a snail, earthworm charming and seashore rockpool ramble
· Researching facts about Earthworms and bats
· Snail poetry
· Designing posters to help an animal survive and promoting the importance of conservation
· Improving sentences to describe minibeasts
· Creating estate agent adverts for habitats
Science linked to topic and skills based Trampolining, swimming, water sports and Forest School.
Basic cooking skills