- To develop a knowledge and understanding of Britain’s past and that of the wider world.
- To encourage student’s curiosity to know more about the past.
- To enable students to ask perceptive questions, think critically, weigh evidence, sift arguments, and develop perspective and judgement.
- To help students to understand the complexity of people’s lives, the process of change, the diversity of societies and relationships between different groups, as well as their own identity and the challenges of their time.
|Key Stage 3||Autumn||Spring||Summer||Exam Board|
|Introduction to History and local studies linked to overview of British history.
The Norman Invaders – impact of the Norman Conquest
Britain, the origins of empire and the slave trade
The interwar period and the rise of dictators – Nazi Germany
|The Black Death and Medieval Britain
Victorian Britain; industrialisation, society and global links. Skills focus – ‘Jack the Ripper’
Causes, events and impact of World War 2 – including Holocaust
|The Tudors; The Break with Rome and the ‘Golden Age’ of Elizabeth I.
Challenges to the power of Kings – The English Civil War.
The causes, events and impact of the First World War
Britain and the world since 1945; changing lifestyles and the rise of terrorism.
The changing face of Britain: A study into migration to the UK
|Key Stage 4||Autumn||Spring||Summer||Exam Board|
|Introduction – Chronological overview and essential skills.USA 1919-29: ‘The Roaring 20s’.
Origins of the Cold War 1945-57
Crises of the Cold War 1955-70 including Cuban Missile Crisis and Vietnam War
|The impact of World war 1 and the rise of Hitler – Hitler’s Germany 1929-41
Collapse of Communism 1970-1991 and post- Cold War relations 1991-2005
Preparation for Paper 3 – Historical investigation based on pre-release source materials.
|Race Relations in the USA 1955-68
Revision and exam practise
|AQA Entry Level Certificate
AQA iGCSE in History
AQA website – AQA Level 1/2 Certificate in History
National Curriculum – Secondary History
Reading list and useful texts
CGP GCSE Modern World History –overview / revision guide to key points.
Subject related web sites
- http://spartacus-educational.com/ – History education website with lots of detailed information.
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/history/ – topic information, quizzes, revision activities.
- www.aqa.org.uk (exam board – has useful information about the GCSE qualification).
- http://www.johndclare.net/ – Information for GCSE revision.
http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/ – revision activities, quizzes and games.